Model and Photo Contest
The Model and Photo contests are opportunities for modelers and photographers to display their skills and share them with others, and others to view them. Attendees are strongly encouraged to support the contestantsí efforts by taking time to carefully vote for your favourite in each category.
- models (but not dioramas, modules or layouts), and
If the number of entries is substantial, these categories may be split.
Model and Photo Contest registration/entry, viewing and voting will be in our convention activity room.
The convention activity room location will be announced in March.
Friday May 8th, 2020:
1 pm - 5 pm: Contest entry open for delivery, registration and set up of entries.
5 pm - 11 pm: Contest room open for viewing and voting.
Saturday May 9th, 2020:
10 am to about 11:30 am: Contest winners announced and prizes presented in AGM.
11:30 am - 12:30 pm: Contest entries pick up by owners.
The room must be vacant before 1 pm!
Taking Photographs of Contest Entries:
Photos of contest entries may be taken whenever the contest room is open for viewing and voting.
No tripods or table-based mounts will be permitted. Monopods are allowed.
Please be courteous to others when taking photographs!
Entrants must remove all packing materials from the contest area immediately after an entry is placed.
Packages and bags are not allowed in the contest area during viewing hours.
Viewers arriving with bags/packages will be asked to store them elsewhere before entering the contest area.
Touching any entry is strictly prohibited.
The contest room will be staffed continuously or locked at all times.
Contest winners will be elected by popular vote of convention registrants.
Only ballots supplied at registration time (one per full registrant) will be allowed for voting. Replacement ballots will NOT be supplied!
Ballot boxes will be kept under supervision in the contest area.
All ballots must be submitted by 11 pm Friday to be counted overnight, for the winners to be announced in the AGM.
Awards will be presented for First Place in each category.
- Rules and guidelines governing specific general contest will be detailed with each listing of contest category.
- All models shall be built entirely by the entrant or photographed by the entrant without help from any other person. Entries should relate to railroad subjects.
- Only registered convention attendees may submit entries; no "proxy" entries are permitted.
- A limit of two models and/or photographs may be entered for each category in the contest.
- A model or photograph that has won first place in a previous CARM, NMRA, Narrow Gauge or other major convention cannot be entered in this contest.
- All photos must have been taken by the contestants and no previously published magazine, calendar or similar published image may be entered.
- Models are limited to items such as locomotives, rolling stock, cabooses, coaches, Maintenance of Way equipment or non-rail support equipment, buildings and other structures but must be single items. They may not include dioramas or trains of equipment with more than two pieces of equipment e.g. a locomotive and tender. A short section of track may be used for display purposes. Any scale is acceptable but the total model size may not be more than 50 centimetres long in its longest dimension.
- Photographs may be views of models or prototype railroads scenes. They must be printed on 5"x7" to 8.5"x11" sized paper/cardstock. No larger images will be permitted even if the additional size is a frame. No glass covers are permitted but photos may be matted. Unmatted photos must be mounted on cardstock or foamcore board or similar material. Digitally and computer enhanced photos, such as adding smoke or backgrounds, are permitted but it must be stated so in the description provided by the contestant.
- Contest winners must allow CARM to publish images of their winning entry in The Canadian and on the CARM website.
Contest Entry and Model/Photo Description Forms:
Each entrant must complete a Contest Entry Form for each item entered.
In addition, each entrant must complete a Model/Photo Description form to be displayed with each entry.
The Contest Entry Form includes a statement that the Contest Entrant is entirely responsible for their entry, and has no legal or other claim against the Organizing Committee or CARM.
Contest organisers will be responsible for placing the models and photos on the display tables and may need to rearrange entries as needed for spacing purposes and for photographing contest winners.
Contest Registration and Pickup:
All entries must be received by 5 pm on Friday. The Organizing Committee will not be liable for any entries remaining in the contest area after 12:30 pm on Saturday, Contest entrants will sign the Contest Entry Form before placing any items in the Contest Area and return the signed Model and Photo Claim Form at pickup.
We thank each entrant in advance for their cooperation in this endeavour.
Updated 2020/01/29 GH+IM